Thursday, March 10, 2011

Background

I was born in 1968, so when I started watching Three's Company the first season (if not the first episode), I was 9.  I didn't get all the jokes but I could see that it was funny and I liked the cast.  It ended up becoming my favorite show.
When the local PBS station (KCET, I was a Southern Californian, like the "threesome") started airing Man About the House, I watched that and enjoyed it.  It was fun to see the British precursor to my favorite show.  Also, by early adolescence I was an Anglophile (still am).  Again, I didn't get all the jokes, but by then it had less to do with innuendo and more to do with culture.

For the next three decades, I'd watch Three's Company in syndication and then on cable and eventually, after a gap of a few years, on DVD.  But Man About the House remained a fond memory.  Then I got my hands on the American release DVD of the first two "series" (British equivalent of "seasons," but very short).  I watched and enjoyed it again.  I also kept mentally reviewing the differences and similarities to the program that I by then knew almost by heart.  And now, thanks to the kindness of my ex-husband, I have all six series of MatH.

So it's time for a project.  Watch and compare the two programs, episode by episode.  When there isn't an equivalent episode, write about that.  There are 39 episodes of MatH vs. 172 episodes of 3'sC, so I might skip some of that latter, but obviously I'm going to be watching hours of innuendo, bad '70s fashion, and awkward culture change.  I can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with this!
    After seeing the pilot episodes-well, the British and two of the three American ones, the differences are pronounced. MATH (British) has far more dialogue, more characterization, more chemistry, more reasons for the girls to let this strange person into their flat,and a mobile made of Day-glo Smiley faces. The humour flows from the dialogue, rather than coming from a series of jokes, delivered Blake Edwards style ("This is funny! This is a joke! Get it? Well, here it is again!).
    Enough of my opinion. Best of luck with your endeavour, and I for one will pop round from time to time to check up on you, much like Mr. Roper (the British one).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your good wishes and insights. The first analysis is up now.

    ReplyDelete